2.22.2009

Two Months of Cool Down, Dog Attacks, Moose Spottings, and Flying

It's been a stretch since last posting--almost two months now--and at risk of losing our small, yet dedicated reader and viewership, and partly from a desire to take a break from grading essays, here's a retrospective of our last 8 weeks:

Since the last post, our weather has cooled considerably, but not plunged to January lows of subzero. Our latter January and February weather has been cyclical, as most AK weather is. We've seen wet roads and slushy snow with upper 30's, and alternately, clear, blue sky, dry flakes and teens. We have enough snow to cover the brown slush of warmup, but nowhere near the pile up from 2008's successive storms. With colder weather, more solid ice, and crisp air comes more freedom of movement.

Even though this morning our thermometer registered 3.4 degrees, there is an odd spring-like feeling in the air. We are gaining approximately 6 minutes of day light per day; so, while temps are still winter-like, the light has returned, and with it, a feeling spring is not too far off--perhaps a month and half.

Throughout the last 8 weeks we've had some significant experiences. As you'll see below, we have been encountering a lot of moose in the city. It seems when the temperatures plunge the cows and their calves head to town for a snack, most times in people's yards, on their landscaping. In fact, Carrie and I awoke one morning before first light to see a moose duo taking a rest in our front yard, not five feet from our front window. We had to be careful when we let Elsa out! On my daily walks, I've seen as few as two and as many as five moose. They're as usual to see as fire hydrants now, but not near as small.

On one of my first nights coaching soccer, Carrie and Elsa had an unpleasant experience at the dog park, where the moose pictures below were shot. It was just after dark, and Carrie and Elsa were just starting their walk around University Lake, when they had an encounter with a golden retriever and his out-of-control owner. Elsa was playing with the golden, when the owner became very excited and loud, causing her retriever to attack Els. A little calm, collectivity from the owner, and Elsa wouldn't have had to undergo a traumatic visit to the emergency vet. The dog was well known to me from previous visits, and the owner, who shouts at her dog, usually keeps her dog on a leash--not this time apparently. Elsa's war wounds are recognizable below--I didn't include a lampshade picture because it doesn't seem dignified.

On a more optimistic note, Carrie got to fly with the hurricane hunters last week; to not step on her toes, I've just included one picture of the plane--I'm sure she'll have a post to include many more pictures, and more explanation than I could ever give.

And one last note of thanks to Alex and Michelle for our Christmas presents. They arrived safely, and I'm enjoying Looking for Alaska, the book they bought me, and the one I'm pictured reading below.

To everyone back in the midwest, and around the country who read this: Onward To Spring! 


A moose calf we encountered near the trail at University Lake.

The calf's mother--keeping diligent watch from afar

The puncture wounds on Elsa's back--they are almost healed up now. She mended quickly.

While this picture probably doesn't do justice to the bite, you can spot the 4 staples in her right fore leg--there are two more on the backside; they've since been removed.

Elsa and I taking a rare opportunity to read, or rest in the afternoon sun. I've learned a lot about AK from the book.

The hurricane hunter "Miss Piggy" being put back into the hangar at Anchorage International.

No comments: