A few posts ago we wrote about Powerline Pass and Hidden Lake. Today, I finally made it all the way up Powerline Pass and peered into the Indian Valley on the other side. It took about an hour and a half to get there with a combination of riding and walking. I took my cyclocross bike and wished, when I got close to the pass, I'd brought my mountain bike. Had I brought the right bike for the job, I likely wouldn't've had to stash my bike behind a boulder and walk the last quarter mile.
Even so, it was rewarding once I made it to the top. The wind blowing through the pass felt good, but turned cold quickly since it wasn't much above 60 degrees. On the way back it took less than a third of the time it took me to get up, pulling hard on the brake levers all the way. It was a nice day, and a nice three plus hour trip.

The bridge like structure between the mountains is the pass and my destination

One of two blue lakes on the way to the pass

Had I a higher res camera, you could discern the waterfall filling this lake

A view back toward Anchorage and getting close to the apex

Lake two of two, the bigger of them; just a little earlier hikers were soaking their feet

My bike and the rock it hid behind while I walked the rest of the way up

The final pitch to the top; you can see, just a little to the right of the green patch, the steeper option

A look back from where I started; the shade line to the left vaguely marks the trail I followed

The Indian Valley, looking Seward-ward

Indian Valley again; looking closely you can see the trail descending the pass

Just a couple of steps back from the edge of the bridge like structure in one of the pictures above
No comments:
Post a Comment