12.21.2008

Winter Solstice (5 hrs. 27 min. of Light)

Today (12/21), the winter solstice was our shortest day and longest night (18 hrs. 33 min.) of the year. Fittingly, we bought ice skates and took Elsa to Cheney Lake Park outdoor rink to kick of the first official day of winter--keep in mind it's been winter in Anchorage to a laymen since October! Funny how they start official winter only after you've gotten over 40 inches of snow. We're well acclimated to snow, ice, fog, and darkness at this point. 

We cut a short video of our ice skating adventure, there are pictures from University Lake, one of our favorite spots, and a Lego stairway to the heavens Carrie built after we got back from ice skating. 


Luke, Carrie, and Elsa ice skating at Cheney Lake Park

Elsa and Carrie, queens of the mountain while Elsa howls at something in the woods

Looking back to see where Elsa and Carrie went

The remnants of daylight shining on the Chugach Mtns.

Dog park vogue

I imagine Robert Plant singing "Stairway to Heaven" when I see this lego creation

Posted by: Luke

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert Plant?? Don't you mean Zed Zeppelin 1971..? Kids.!
Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh brother! Your father was never a rocker. He listens to country for pete sake! :-) Kudos to Luke for knowing Robert Plant was, indeed, Led Zeppelin's lead singer! Back "in the day," we children of the '70s danced to "Stairway" at every prom, every dance...

There's a lady who's sure all that gli-tters is gold.......

Love to all...
Mom (the rocker)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, the Lego stairway is pretty cool! :-)

--Mom

Carrie said...

I listen to rock AND country... and a bunch of stuff most people have never heard of.

To each, their own.

I will never forget a moment when I was home in September... I was driving Luke's old pick-up truck down a county road between corn fields, windows down, country music all the way up... all while wearing lipstick and heals. I remember smiling to myself when I realized what I was doing.

Part of me will always be that... a mix of both of you. The rest of me can be compared the aforementioned music that most people have never heard of:)