3.29.2009

For Those About to Erupt, We Salute You!

As many of you know who regularly talk to us on the phone or via email, Mt. Redoubt is doing her worst and still spewing ash all over the place. Last night as I was strolling out of the local Carr's, I got what I imagine is the feeling an asthmatic gets as they're about to have an attack. It was hard to breathe, but you couldn't visibly see the particles in the air because they were so small.

When I got back to my car, it was evident that a good amount of ash had accumulated on the windshield, especially when I hit the wipers and---pooof!

Carrie is currently marooned in Minneapolis waiting on Anchorage International to get back up and running. Today no air traffic was in or out. It's a little bit eerie to be in Anchorage and not see a significant amount of air traffic. I hadn't realized how many planes we have in the air on a daily basis until there are none aloft; no military traffic, no commercial traffic, and no private plane traffic, no helicopters even. Check out some of the photos below--courtesy of Alaska Volcano Observatory.

The gray menace drifting.

This is what I imagine an ash plume looking like! No disappointment here.

Take two!

Nuclear fallout or Mt. Redoubt? Puts the Ford Focus in the foreground in perspective.

No comments: