5.17.2009

Spring Soccer

Spring has come to Alaska--in fact, the grass is now greener than it may appear in some of the pictures below, which were taken just weeks ago. The really vibrant green is turf, which all soccer games are played on in Alaska. The turf at Eagle River High School, where I coach, is one of the newer turfs in the area, and we enjoy playing on it. I post the pictures below, not so much to show off the soccer being played, but more to let people envision where it's played.

The backdrop of our school, and our soccer field is unparalleled anywhere I've ever taught or coached, and that fact isn't lost on the team either. We sit right at the foot of the Eagle River Valley, which you can see in the distance. On a clear day, it's magnificent. 

While we've had a rough season, this environment still pulls at us to keep practicing, and to keep playing. Enjoy the pictures, which Carrie took at a Saturday game's warmup not long ago: 

The view north of the field, down the Eagle River Valley

The high school, framed nicely by the mountains in the background

Besides the team in the foreground, the mountains you see form the northerly mountain chain of the valley.

Track, field, school, and again, more mountains, with notably less snow on them.

2 comments:

Denny Hargett said...

Hi Almons,
I loved the pictures of AK. Believe it or not I get really "homesick" for the montains and your right it hits you in the face everyday! I was thinking of you all this morning and was tempted to call, then I remebered how Ralph Cox used to call Dave and say in the middle of the night, "What time is it up there?". Jen and I just got back from MN and WI and enjoyed our time in the "Northland". The fishing was great too as always. I want to send a picture of a bluegill I caught. Brent will be wanting to go next time when he sees it! Better yet we were trolling for Crappie! I know it was against my better judgment but the Kent brothers kind of run the show!! Give yor Mom and Dad the tourist show so when I get come with him we can concentrate on the fish!!! The stawberries are finishing up, but I'm making a cherry pie for tonight. Enjoy your time off. Thank Carrie for the pitures of Redoubt. I used yours this spring teaching my students. Later, Denny

Carrie said...

Thanks for the message, Denny.

Brent seems to really want to come back and fish. We took them to Seward and to Whittier. Brent asked some of the deck hands who gives the best halibut charter from Seward. He said it was his new favorite place.

Glad you could use the pictures of Redoubt. I have tons of them from my flight. If you need others, et me know.

Stay tuned for pictures from the Almon family visit. We have kept them very busy!!

Take care,
Carrie