It has been a bit since we last posted on here. It seems as though we go in spurts with our posting. Sometimes we post regularly and other times we get busy with life and we slack off a bit. It has been almost two months since I last posted - and the last post didn't actually contain pictures of our Alaskan life - just image captures of Luke's flights home before Christmas. We have several pictures that we need to post; we took pictures during our Christmas celebrations with family in Indiana, Luke took pictures while walking through the woods at Dad's farm, and we have some recent winter pictures that we can post from our daily life here in AK. We'll get them on here eventually!
I am writing today's post from a cozy couch in a lobby at the Hotel Alyeska and Ski Resort (http://www.alyeskaresort.com/) in Girdwood, about an hour south of Anchorage. Luke and I drove down here yesterday (Friday) afternoon and will be staying until Monday. We are treating the trip as a celebration of our second wedding anniversary which is actually on February 23rd. Conveniently, the trip also coincides with Valentine's Day. So, why am I blogging while on my Valentine's/Anniversary vacation? This is the first chance that I have really had to sit down and relax and enjoy the fact that I do not actually have anything that I need to be doing. Luke has been reading most of the day and we plan to go check out the Double Musky Inn (http://www.doublemuskyinn.com/) for a cajun inspired dinner. We are relaxing... and loving it!
Last night, we took the recommendation of a fellow AK NWS meteorologist and had a quiet dinner at a great unique place called Maxine's Glacier City Bistro (http://www.maxinesbistro.com/). It was fabulous! We stayed after dinner and watched a local musician (http://akrick.com/) play guitar and sing.
Below are a few pictures that I took with my cell phone to share a bit of our day w/ family and friends. I have also taken several pictures with my "real" camera but I forgot to bring the cord to connect it to the laptop. I used Bluetooth to get the pictures off of my phone and will add more pictures from the camera when we get home.

We really lucked out w/ our room. We are on the 7th floor in an 8 floor hotel and we are on the side of the hotel that faces the mountain on which people ski. Above is a picture I took of our view.

This is another shot of Mount Alyeska.
(Mom and Megan - this is the mountain face that has the tram on it. I am sure it looks a bit different than you remember it!) The dark spot at the top of the picture is the station where the tram stops. It was neat last night to sit in our room and watch the tram run up and down the mountain after dark, since it is well lit. There is a restaurant at the top of the mountain that stays open after the ski runs close - so the tram runs until the last people leave the restaurant.

The tram station at the base of the mountain, as seen from our room window.

Another view from the window, looking east towards the rest of the hotel and the mountains behind it.

Luke, enjoying a book called Three Cups of Tea. He has since finished the book and moved on to another - A Walk in the Woods. It must be good because he keeps laughing out loud.

I took this from the third floor of the hotel, looking back at Luke reading in a second floor lobby. If you look close, you can see his red hat near the center of the picture.

This picture and the one below were taken about 30 minutes after the pictures above, taken from our room window. The thin cloud layer seen in the first pictures quickly turned in to a thick fog layer that blocked our few of Mount Alyeska entirely. I have overheard skiers say that the top of the mountain remained in the clear.

Fog.
No comments:
Post a Comment