I've now survived the first two days of in-service for teachers. I have a rather new Apple computer sitting on my desk with a wireless keyboard and mouse so that I can roam the room to give presentations. I'm really pleased with my co-workers; most are much younger than the typical late 40's, early 50's range of Indiana, and are still highly engaged in their job. Communication within the department is wide open and teaching strategies are shared, which makes everyone better in the end. I'm well on my way to having my freshmen and AP syllabi complete, and am looking forward to students next Wednesday. Now my job is to get through the memoir Angela's Ashes, re-read parts of Othello, and decide what short stories to begin with. Since my schedule has changed, I won't have to worry about teaching the elective and will pick up a third AP class instead. My teaching day will be done just after 1 p.m., last period being planning.
I'll sign off with the quote I include at the top of my syllabus,
"Respect for the fragility and importance of an individual life is still the mark of an educated man." --Norman Cousins
No comments:
Post a Comment