8.12.2008

I Thought I was Behind...

Yesterday I attended the "new employee orientation meeting" at the Anchorage School District Education Center. It was enlightening on a number of levels. Surprisingly, there are individuals who have been hired who are still waiting on their Alaska license; so, they will have to be paid as subs until Juneau processes them--this is a 20K disparity in some instances. Second, there are teachers who just arrived late last week, and have not even seen or visited the building in which they'll teach. There are teachers licensed in one area teaching another, and the list continues. Of course, to add to this, there is all of the work that goes into getting ready for approximately 125 students a piece. I don't envy them. 

What I learned was that I was way ahead of a lot of people who have been hired in the last week or so, and I am technically licensed here; so, I'll get paid my due salary, not sub pay. I now also understand that I've had more lead time than most new hires in getting acquainted with the school and the material I'll have to teach.

I report for my first contract day on Thursday, August 14th, and will have four inservice days before students arrive on the 20th. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Summer is all but over; the Cicadas are "singing" their end-of-summer tune; and the cycle begins anew...

Enjoy your Alaskan teaching experience, Luke. Enjoy your mountainous views. Enjoy your new "crop" of students. I'm certain you will. I'm so pleased the final piece of your Alaskan puzzle fell so neatly into place. This move was kismet.

Delta started classes today and for the first time in a few years, you were not strolling the hallowed halls.

My best to you as you undertake this new and exciting challenge in a new school in a far-off place.

--Beth