6.08.2008

Goodbye Posey County

My two weeks in Posey County have finally drawn to a close, and I got just about everything done I had set out to accomplish. So, this will serve as homage to all those who made the visit memorable.

Fresh out of the car on May 24th I was initiated into the lazy rhythm of Southwest Indiana by a float trip in the back water, courtesy of the two voluminous rivers that meet here. It was a good time to spot turtles, watch great blue herons squawk and fly, catch up with old friends, drink a cold one and be in a boat again.

As everyone else's work week began and temperatures soared, I was able to eat plenty of Mom's home cooked meals and visit with more family and friends. I also kept close watch on my email and the Anchorage School District's new openings for English Teachers. I made important first contacts when and where I could and used Google Earth to thoroughly scour Anchorage's immense geography. My Dad and I made side trips to the river camp to watch the hummingbirds feed on homemade nectar in Dad's feeders, dangling from the front porch of the camp. The breeze and the swing were nice to sit in and take some time out to do nothing.

The second weekend out, my friend Tim came down for his first visit to Southern Indiana in a long time. We took a long awaited trip to Southern Illinois to do some day hiking and to appreciate the clear water falls, and ample boulder lined trails. We made a pit stop at Garden of the Gods on our way back home, a nice armchair hiker's paradise, as we both remarked.

As the weekend lulled, I was treated to smoked barbecue ribs by my brother Alex and got a surprise visit from Nick, who was traveling to South Carolina via Posey County. Elsa (our dog) had a grand time with Poco (Al's dog) while we humans sat around, ate, and told war stories.

Now, as the second full week ends, I am ready to be "leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again." I can't wait to see Carrie and I know she can't wait to see Elsa, so it'll be a good reunion on all sides. Thanks again to everyone, especially mom, dad, and Alex for all the hospitality and help the past couple of weeks. I'll see you all again in September.

Much <3

No comments: