CHILLY: Anchorage could hit 65 degrees for fewest days on record.
"The coldest summer ever? You might be looking at it, weather folks say.
Right now the so-called summer of '08 is on pace to produce the fewest days ever recorded in which the temperature in Anchorage managed to reach 65 degrees.
That unhappy record was set in 1970, when we only made it to the 65-degree mark, which many Alaskans consider a nice temperature, 16 days out of 365.
This year, however -- with the summer more than half over -- there have been only seven 65-degree days so far. And that's with just a month of potential 'balmy' days remaining and the forecast looking gloomy...
... MEASURING THE MISERY
In terms of 'coldest summer ever,' however, a better measure might be the number of days Anchorage fails to even reach 60. There too, 2008 is a contender, having so far notched only 35 such days -- far below the summer-long average of 88.
Unless we get 10 more days of 60-degree or warmer temperatures, we're going to break the dismal 1971 record of only 46 such days, a possibility too awful to contemplate."
In theory... our summers here can only get better from here! I just talked to an FAA manager at work, set to retire at the end of July, after a life-long career in Alaska... he said that this has been the "suckiest summer in a quarter-century."
I've actually enjoyed the summer... even though it has been cool, cloudy, and rainy... I have still spent plenty of time outside. When I think about the fact that its in the 90's and humid back in Muncie... I think that I have probablly spent more time outside here in the record cool summer than I would have at home!
No comments:
Post a Comment