5.05.2008

The Ending of an Era and the turning of a Page...


Ray is the guy from all of the Menards commercials. Believe it or not, I actually painted this OSB version of him... at least four years ago! (I always thought his khaki pants looked more like tights!) I mention this in my first blog post because my last day at Menards was Friday, 5.2.2008... almost 7.5 years after my first! I'll miss Menards... a little.

I started at the store on 11.22.2000 as a cashier. After 6 years of taking money from people who were supposedly "saving big," I moved on the hardware department, in which, I built and sold a lot of patio furniture. I was an assistant manager in the electrical department for the last nine months of my employment. Now, I can successfully install light fixtures... I recently added three to my mom's house. (Luke helped!)

Although home improvement will always be a hobby, I am moving on to a job that better utilizes my education. I accepted a position with the National Weather Service, as an aviation meteorologist. My new assignment will take me far from home - Luke and I are headed to Anchorage, AK! I've been interested in Alaska and in learning to forecast weather in regions unfamiliar to me for as long as I can remember. This opportunity really excites me!

My first day at my new job will be 5.27.2008. I received my "final offer" from the National Weather Service today, complete with the official signature and a salary offer that exceeds what I have been earning at Menards. Sue, the girl at the "Alaska Region Headquarters" that is coordinating our move, already booked flights for Luke and me today. I also spoke briefly with movers and I paid off my car! My dad and I plan to sell my car this week... a dealer offered to buy it from us. We're still looking for higher bidders.

Counting tonight, I have nine nights left as a Muncie, IN resident. Luke and I will fly with my two cats to Anchorage (ANC) on 5.14.2008. We will then have 2.5 days in ANC to hopefully buy a car... and search for a new place to live! He will return to IN on 5.17.08 on an overnight flight and return to work for his last week of school. I will likely have to continue the search for a new home on my own. (I am nervous an excited to take on this challenge, if necessary. Luckily, a good friend of mine, from college, lives in Anchorage. He will provide me and my cats with a temporary place to live while I search.)

6.9.2008 is the date that Luke will return to ANC. (He will bring our dog then.)

I will spend the rest of this week "packing," or at least sorting through all of the things in our house to decide what we need to send to Alaska and what we can donate or throw away. The NWS is paying for movers to actually pack our stuff and to ship it to Alaska. I'm told that it takes about 30 days for our stuff to arrive! We still do not have an official date for the movers to actually "move" us. (Hopefully this gets finalized tomorrow.)

The purpose of this blog is to keep friends and family up-to-date during the moving process and to allow us to share our new and exciting experiences as we get settled in to our new home in the "great white north." Please keep checking back! We may be slow to get started since we have so much going on, but I am certain that we will soon have many stories to tell! Thanks for checking out our blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, Luke, Smalz, Polz, and Elsa... You have no idea how much I will miss ALL of you as you depart the "Hoosier State" for the "Last Frontier." I am excited for you, proud of you, happy for you, and, selfishly, incredibly sad all at the same time. Parents have children with the hope that, someday, they will spread their wings and fly. They just hope that their flight doesn't take them too terribly far way. I am starting a "visit Carrie and Luke" travel fund with the hope of having enough saved to visit you in your new home this fall. I've always been a "beach bum," making winter trips to the sun, sand, salt, and surf of Florida. I guess I'll have to become a "snow bunny" and trade my flip flops for a stylish pair of mukluks (gosh, is there such a thing?!). As you embark on this new adventure, soar high into the clouds you love so dearly (perhaps they'll be mammatus) and enjoy every moment your new homestate, job, and hearth and home have to offer. I love you both - more than you know! Safe travels today and always. Love... Mom (Haisley)

Kylie & Jeremy said...

Hey Carrie!
I'm so happy for you and your new job in Alaska! My former boss and her husband lived up there for a few years - he was in the military. She showed me pictures of their house, which was basically right in front of a BIG snowy mountain. It was beautiful.
And, really? You started working at Menards on 11/2000? I think my start-date was 8/20/2000 - I can't believe you worked there for SO long!! :)
Best of luck in your crazy adventure and your new life! I'm incredibly happy for you!