Luke was lucky - he saw the sun for the 5ish hours that it is up this time of year while at work in Eagle River. I stayed in Anchorage - in the fog. The fog reminded me of the lyrics to the 1994 Counting Crows song Round Here which was the inspiration for the title to this post:
"Step out the front door like a ghost
into the fog where no one notices
the contrast of white on white..."
into the fog where no one notices
the contrast of white on white..."
On Saturday, Luke and I drove up to the Glen Alps trail head in the Chugach mountains to Anchorage's east. The fog was only about 700ft thick, so we quickly drove out of it as we approached the mountains. Below are 20 of the 62 pictures that we took.
Driving east on O'Malley road toward the Chugach. We were still under the fog/stratus layer but about to drive out from underneath it.
This is my favorite of all of the pictures that I took while we were out on Saturday. It was taken just a few minutes after the picture above it.
Fog visible in the distance. Note the radiation frost on the trees. I call it "freezer fur" although it is far more impressive than the frost/fur that forms on items that have been in my freezer at home for a bit too long. It forms on EVERYTHING when we have fog in the winter time.We walked for about an hour on the Powerline Pass trail. Here are a few of our older blog posts w/ pictures from Powerline Pass:
http://anchoredat61.blogspot.com/2009/09/powerline-pass-by-bike-and-foot.html
http://anchoredat61.blogspot.com/2009/08/powerline-pass-and-hidden-lake-hike.html
http://anchoredat61.blogspot.com/2009/09/powerline-pass-by-bike-and-foot.html
http://anchoredat61.blogspot.com/2009/08/powerline-pass-and-hidden-lake-hike.html
Little O'Mally peak on the left - big O'Malley peak on the right. Luke and I hiked up to the top of Little O'Malley in early July.http://anchoredat61.blogspot.com/2009/07/little-omalley-peak-and-williwaw-lakes.html
The top of the fog... Anchorage is under there! The smoke plume in the middle of the picture is from a power plant a few miles from where we live.
Flat Top Mountain on the left... Blueberry Hill on the right. Luke and I climbed Flat Top back in June and he climbed it again in October:http://anchoredat61.blogspot.com/2009/06/friday-hike-up-flat-top.html
http://anchoredat61.blogspot.com/2009/10/flattop-mountain-round-two.html
My camera battery died - so the rest of these pictures were taken w/ my dinosaur Nokia cell phone. They certainly don't do the view justice but hopefully give you the idea.
Redoubt volcano is the mountain peak on the far right in this picture. Redoubt is 103 miles from Anchorage. I think the peak on the left is Iliamna volcano.
About half way down the mountain.Luke and I also shot about 10 minutes of video w/ a camera from school that Luke needs to learn how to use for a class project. We need to try and figure out how to use iMovie to edit it so he can teach the program to students. Once we figure it out, we'll post our video.











No comments:
Post a Comment